Vertoro is proud to present the green gold of the future.
We aim to speed up the green revolution by offering a bio-based alternative to fossil resources. Our green gold is bold and will prove invaluable to the future of the planet. Ultimately, it can replace fossil crude oil as a platform product for materials, chemicals and fuels. Let’s move forward together and find radical, affordable alternatives that will help you to reach your sustainability goals. The change is unfolding.
Vertoro is a spin off company from a public-private partnership between Brightlands Chemelot Campus, DSM, Chemelot InSciTe, University of Maastricht (UM) and Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e).
The partnership was founded in 2017 and initiated by Vertoro CEO Michael Boot and CTO Panos Kouris.
We are a capital-backed and university-backed chemical startup with a novel and protected approach to transforming woody and agricultural residues into a wide range of bio-based chemicals, materials, and fuels.
What sets us apart:
We offer a scalable and robust production platform that can handle a wide array of inputs and outputs through a simple processing unit, one that has been validated technically and currently sits at a TRL 6.
We have triggered significant interest from global corporations across industries and geographies, from oil majors to ship-owners to chemical companies.
We are powered by a multi-faceted team with a thorough scientific foundation and supplemented by significant commercial experience.
We will be one of the largest producers of commercially available lignin-based products
- Maersk invests in Vertoro to develop green lignin marine fuels
- Received the Award for Excellence in the Field of Environmental Technology Development.
- Partnership with IDEALFUEL.
- Cooperation with Sekab; Vertoro will be one of the largest producers of commercially available lignin-based products.
- Vertoro was featured on Bloomberg International and Fox Business News in Worldwide Business.
- Finalist of the Enlightenmentz 2019 award by Petrochem.
- Vertoro’s CBO, Dannie van Osch, was awarded with One Young World Scholarship by Shell, using Vertoro as case study. The award connects outstanding young leaders working to positively impact the challenges faced by our society today within sustainability, climate change, and social inequality.
- Vertoro’s CBO, Dannie van Osch, was chosen as CAS (American Chemical Society) Future Leader.
- Vertoro received a Take-off Phase 2 Grant (€ 250k) from the Dutch Organization for Scientific Research (NOW) to support business activities and perform R&D activities for making the current chemical industry more sustainable.
- Finalist of the TechTour European Venture Contest, Europe’s leading network and investment event for high-growth tech startups, venture capital investors, and technological corporations.
- Finalist of the Bio-Based Chemical of the Year 2018, by Bio-Based World News.
- Finalist of the Gouden KIEM 2018, prize for the best collaboration in chemistry between a startup and a knowledge institution, from the Dutch Organization for Scientific Research (NWO).
- Vertoro co-founder & CTO, Panos Kouris, and Vertoro’s CBO, Dannie van Osch, were selected as Young European Talents in the field of Science from the Netherlands.
- Vertoro received a Take-off Phase 1 Grant (€ 40k) from the Dutch Organization for Scientific Research (now) for the realization of a feasibility study.
- Vertoro‘s scientific advisor, Emiel Hensen, was elected as fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) for his outstanding contribution to the advancement of the chemical sciences.
- Vertoro was founded. Signing of investor term sheet for seed funding only 4 months after incorporation.